Sunday 5 June 2011

Introduction - Topic and Objectives

First things first for this project was to identify a subject area within Geography i would deem as my weakest. Although much of my Geography degree was based around physical concepts and in theory should be my stronger side i have settled on "Weather and Climate" as this was entirely neglected by me at University. The main reason for this being the heavy physics based concepts associated with weather patterns and systems.

Next step was to break down this large area into smaller bite size chunks. The subject audit was a good place to start looking for this and gave me some idea of how to approach learning more about it. I have also been brainstorming some ideas of how best to incorporate resources used in this blog into the classroom and making them accesible to students.

I wanted to have one solid theme flowing through this whole blog so it would be easy to follow and hopefully give it good structure. As much of my time studying Geography has been focussed on linking concepts with case studies i thought this would be a good place to start. My idea was to follow one part of the UK for a whole week using weather forecasts from the MET office. Then take each days forecast and explain the reasons for the weather by explaining the science behind it.

I do like this idea  however i do think im restricting myself by only using the UK so im going to try a round the world style forecast. Im going to pick different countries in different continents, find the weather forecasts for a particular day and explain the phenomena using geographical concepts. I think students would be able to do this for themselves picking parts of the world that appeals to them and really get stuck in and enjoy looking at weather outside of the UK

Although this will form a large part of the blog i do want to explore other ways of creating discussion and explanations so will hopefully build on this idea over the next few months.

Over the next few days im going to tackle what i think is a good place to start, the hydrological cycle. For this i might not start my "round the world" trip yet but we shall see where the wind blows me!

Coming up....


No comments:

Post a Comment